Sunday 6 October 2013

The Next Stop

Well the first year of study finished in May and I was certainly ready for a break.  Whilst I enjoyed the extra free time I am definitely ready for the first phase of this year's study.  The materials arrived a good few weeks ago and I was itching to get going - making a dash once again for quiet time in my 'study/shed/office' - both comforting and exciting.  Another phase of the journey has begun and this time with a creative writing element.  Interestingly, as much as this excites me, I have unexpectedly discovered that I am also extremely nervous about tackling the creative writing tasks.  What if I discover that I can't do it?!  This was after all the main reason for me taking the course.

Panic aside, I am looking forward to taking on the challenges that the course throws at me and being introduced to new things, the first of which is in assignment one (I still don't entirely know how to describe a wiki).  Secondly, in preparation for January, I have just started reading my first Dickens novel (which I am thoroughly enjoying) - so it's only day two and I have already had two new experiences.

As I write this the 'Guitarman' and 'A' are tiling the floor of the side entrance to the house - a surprisingly small space for all the junk that is now distributed around the ground floor rooms - creating mountainous obstructions of wellies, jackets, shoe polish and 'stuff'.  What is the 'stuff'?  It's all in boxes, it's very useful, it can't be thrown away - you can guarantee that if I throw it I will one day need to go to the 'bit box' to find a screw or a widget or a washer that's not been used for twenty years.  The 'bit box' is a fraction of the 'stuff' as a whole - old dog toys (they can go), half empty pots of paint (I might need to do some touching up), windscreen wash (need that) shelf brackets, a staple gun, glue gun...  The biggest mountain has been there for a week, a tectonic shift has clearly taken place over the seven days and Snowdon has become Everest as the 'surface' has been used to pile yet more 'stuff'.  We have at least one more week of disruption to go before the big tidy up, who knows what could happen in that time, boulders could fall, people may die...  The 'Guitarman' had a fantastic gig last night but hasn't yet put all his gear back into place - where is it going to go?!... I think I'll stay in my office and study.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. Feedback is always appreciated!