Wednesday 19 February 2014

Twin Triumph

Foundations and Fungus

Well after a tortuous twelve day wait I finally got the result for my first creative writing assignment.  It was good.  Very good, my best yet.  Surprisingly, after a little jig around the kitchen and celebratory hugs from my family, my next reaction was a strong urge to go to sleep (I should point out that it was evening).  Whilst waiting for the results I had run through a variety of scenarios in my head - ranging from the worst; envisaging my unloved and unused shed crumbling away - a rotting symbol of my despondency, to the best; jumping up and down, laughing and smiling and eventually settling down to a celebratory glass of wine (or two).  I had not, however, envisaged how exhausted I would be in reality.  The following morning I woke up with ideas for my book running through my mind.  The beginning - the first real instruction in technique and effects and I am excited at the prospect of building on these foundations.

That afternoon, with half of my mind floating in the clouds, the other half decided that today was the day to once and for all combat  .... The Smell.  For weeks now I have been accusing the boys of harbouring some soggy sports kit somewhere in the depths of the bedroom cupboard or bundled in a bag in the cubby under the bed.  At every opportunity I have been throwing open the window, skitting around the room like a bobbing madwoman sniffing out the source of the worsening odour.  Well today the pong wasn't going to beat me - I was going to conquer it!  Having narrowed it down to an area around one cabin bed I swiftly removed the plethora of empty plastic bags, half full water bottles, tissues, sweet wrappers, odd socks and the single glove that had been previously 'tidied' into the corner. After calling in the cavalry and pulling the bed away from the wall - there it was.  The Beast.  Almost the entire length of the bed along the skirting and part way up the corner of the wall (hidden behind a unit) was a black and white fuzzy mould.  The result of a cold outside wall and a lack of air circulation (I'm told).  Armoured with the guilt of weeks of accusations I was ready to banish the beast and attack with a mild bleach solution and a scourer - problem solved.

All in all, a successful weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. Feedback is always appreciated!